Vox Pop - new year
New Times put on the New Year's hat and went on a walk in the narrow streets of the Danish capital. We met a lot of people and we asked them the following questions:
1. What will your new year's resolutions for 2010 be?
2. What are your hopes for the new year for yourself?
3. What are your hopes for the new year for Denmark?
1. "I would like to quit smoking and to be more interested in school and do all my homework."
2. "I think I just want to be more ambitious more than anything else. I am not the kind of person that expects things much from myself - I just do them. I don't plan much. I want to change this behaviour."
3. "I think that the system ought to be changed a bit."
1. "I think everyone would say peace on earth. To be a tidier person in the coming year: mentally and physically."
2. "That I keep my job! I lost my job in the spring because the company went bust and I am at this company now and I hope I keep it."
3. "That the government becomes more lenient towards different people, people from different origins."
1. "I want to work less - fewer hours. Time is one of your most valuable resources and I want to spend that on myself and my family and personal education."
2. "To be able to travel more and work fewer hours."
3. "I think I would like to see some of the hate against foreigners eroded. It's not that big a problem in Denmark but there's still some problems. I would like to sort that out, or hopefully that would be sorted out."
1. "Stop partying so much and focus more on my studies.”
2. "My hope for myself is to get my diploma from biomedical school."
3. "I hope that politicians are going to make it easier for foreigners to come in. I want them to be more open for students. For exchange students it is quite difficult to come into Denmark. And I want them to focus on this."
1. "I want to practice more sports and stay fit. I want to swim, play football, and keep strong."
2. "I wish to have a peaceful year."
3. "I wish that Denmark has a good year and that the financial crisis finally ends. Also, Denmark should do a mass amnesty!"
1. "I want to start kickboxing and kung-fu and quit smoking."
2. "I hope I receive positive. I would like to be a translator: specifically, Danish, English, Pashtu, and Dari."
3. "I would like Denmark to help with literacy programs for immigrants and refugees."
1. "I would like to do more activities. To feel fresh again - I think I will play volleyball."
2. "I want to continue my education. In Iran, I studied commercial management and I want to do a masters here related to this."
3. "Well, I would want to see more signs in English in public spaces and in transportation. Also, I wish people were friendlier when I ask for directions in English. When I ask, they respond in Danish and I don't understand. So I hope Denmark becomes more open to other languages."